OPEN CALL FOR THE 5TH EDITION OF APAL@AMNASIA
AmnAsia is a residency program that offers performing artists with asian background an opportunity to work in an environment surrounded by other performing artists with asian background and where they can share experiences, resources and knowledge with each other. It is also a space where they can support, as well as stimulate each other's artistic processes and works. At AmnAsia performance-making is not only about how we make works, but also about how we co-exist and thrive together. It is explicitly not production-oriented, but focuses on artistic processes and experimentations with ideas, approaches, ways of working, or whatever challenges or fascinates the artists. The artists have the autonomy to work with themes that concern them, as well as determine their own aesthetics and voices in their works. AmnAsia is a reminder of the risk of erasure that asian artists face in a predominantly white society and that we must resist it.
In this residency, performing artists can apply as individuals or as a group with a project, which can be in the form of an idea, a draft or a work-in-progress. At the end of the residency, they present their works-in-progress at Berliner Ringtheater. The residency operates on self-organization and reciprocity principles. Other than working on their own projects, participating artists must be prepared to support each other during the residency.
- Offer their skills and knowledge to support the other artists’ projects.
- Plan the working schedule collectively
- Share daily chores (such as cleaning, cooking, etc) and the available resources (such as rehearsal studios, equipment, rehearsal times, etc)
✭ When and where
27th September – 2nd October 2022: In Residency at The Farm in Bräsen (Coswig). Check-in on 26th September 2022 after 18hrs.
3rd October 2022: End-presentation at Berliner Ringtheater (Berlin).
✭ Who can apply?
Open to Berlin/Germany-based performing artists with asian background, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, religion or worldview, age, ability and nationality. Their work must involve a live performative medium, be it theatre, dance, choreography, music, song, text, new media, interdisciplinary, etc. Experimental formats and genres are welcome.
Artists can apply as individuals or groups. The maximum size for a group is 3 persons, all of whom must have an asian background.
✭ What does APAL@AmnAsia provided?
- Fee of €250 for each artist, or each group of artists, for the whole period of APAL@AmnAsia.
- Shared working spaces and studios
- Dramaturgical support
- End-presentation at Berliner Ringtheater
- Accommodation on The Farm
- Vegetarian meals on The Farm
- Travel cost for a 2nd class, economy return ticket (Berlin - The Farm)
✭ Please apply, only if you agree to all the following conditions.
- To be present for the whole period of APAL@AmnAsia (27th September – 3rd October 2022).
- To work within the technical limitations of APAL@AmnAsia and The Farm and to bring all extra equipment yourself (eg, laptop, webcam, mics, cables, adaptors, chargers, instruments, props, costumes, etc).
- To be documented and interviewed in APAL@AmnAsia and to grant APAL the full right to use the documented materials for archival, publicity and press purposes.
- To adapt your project for ZOOM, if there is a lockdown.
- To comply with all the Covid-19 health guidelines, which includes taking a quick Covid-19 test before the start of APAL@AmnAsia and providing proof of vaccination, if necessary.
Ariel William Orah, Frederika Tsai and Ming Poon
Deadline: Submission of application is closed.
Supported by Fonds Darstellende Künste with funds from the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media